Teaching aids Definition:
In this, we study what and how a teacher uses things to increase learning or to make learning easy or effective.
What is aids?
aids are a type of thing that makes any work more effective, in a positive way.
Teaching materials & Teaching Aids
Teaching aids are tool and equipment used in teaching as a supplement in class room instruction to enhance the interest of students. Teaching materials are important catalysts of effective instructions, Besides the traditional teaching methods.
In the present age of sciences and technology, the process of teaching and learning also depends on the latest technology.
To teach a new language, different teaching materials should be used in order to enhance learners’ learning process so that the learner may be able to communicate the learned language in real life. Linguistics now encourages the use of teaching materials in teaching because of their positive effects on students.
Meaning Of Teaching AIDS
- It is a tool used by teachers, facilitators, or tutors to help learners improve reading and other skills.
- Teaching aid can be linguistic, visual, auditory or both.
Teaching aid can be used:
- To reinforce the learning process.
- To strengthen the learning process.
Need of Teaching Aids :
In teaching language, teaching aids/ materials are important because every individual has a tendency to forget but proper use of these aids, helps to remember lessons permanently. All teachings aids can be effectively used in class to motivate the students to learn better.
As Cunningsworth says, “Students particularly more sophisticated adults and teenagers need to feel that the materials from which they are learning have to be connected with the real world and at the same time they must be related positively to the aspects of their inner make up such as age, level of education, social attitudes, the intellectual ability and level of emotional maturity.”
Type of Teaching Aids :
There are many different types of teaching aids that can be used in class.
Visual: Visual aids use a sense of vision. It includes actual objects, charts, maps, flashcards, pictures, flannel board, whiteboard, flip charts, models, etc.
Audio: Audio aids are common teaching tool which includes classroom stereo system, individual headsets, radio, etc. In language class, teachers use recordings to demonstrate how the language is spoken. It is used as a recreational activity. It involves the sense of hearing.
Audio Visual: These aids can have a great impact on teaching. It involves the sense of vision as well as hearing. Audio-Video aids are multi-sensory materials. They can be produced, distributed, and used as planned components of an education program. Teachers can use instructional or documentary videos to enhance specific subjects or topics. It usually requires a television, a digital video player, projection, film strips, etc.
Some other teaching aids are
- Mobile Technology:
- Language games:
- Language Lab:
- News Paper
Technologies used in the classroom.
(2) Digital book
(5) Power point
(6) Online games
Teacher as a teaching aids
We cannot ignore the importance of teachers in the classroom. A teacher can be an effective teaching aid. It is one of the wonderful teaching tools which is very convenient in every respect.
In a classroom, a teacher can involve students in the process of learning by doing some simple things like the use of proper body language, eye contact with students, good facial expression, giving students time to talk, calling them by their names, etc.
A teacher can be a model, narrator, singer, presenter, dancer, friend, and role player. By playing these roles in the classroom a teacher can encourage the students to participate actively in the class. It will also keep them alert and learn efficiently.
Importance of teaching aids
Teaching is a social activity and it is not possible to teach students without taking part in this process. A teacher and a student both should involve in this activity to perform better. Teaching aids are very important instruments in the teaching process which can involve both of them
1. Teaching aids make lessons more enjoyable, clear, and comprehensible for students. They can be used at all levels of the learning process to enrich vocabulary and knowledge.
2. Teaching aids for a second language motivates the students so that they can learn a language easily without having any difficulty.
3. Teaching aids are effective to increase student’s memory. What they learn with the help of these aids imprints in their mind. It also makes their learning permanent. Supportive teaching materials provide advantages to remember the second language better.
4. Teaching aids can facilitate a better understanding of the subject which discourages the act of confusion. It makes the subject and every aspect of the lesson very clear and makes them successful in learning the second language process.
5. Activities used during the teaching of language make their learning process like a game and students enjoy the learning process. More use of supportive materials increases the learning activities and chances of success.
6. Use of teaching aid is absolutely effective because it makes the whole process simple, productive and enrich the learning activities.
7. These aids also increase student’s interest and motivate them to learn a second language better.
8. These aids also provide a natural learning atmosphere and help them to actively involve in the learning, teaching, and experiencing process.
9. Use of teaching aids in the class, can heighten students’ desire of learning. All the students participate in the learning process vividly. It enables the students to express their concepts effectively.
10. Teaching aids make the classroom live and active and avoid dullness because of the involvement of every student. It provides direct experience to the students.
11. Use of proper teaching aids, saves lots of time and money also. It saves time from long and boring explanatory classes and helps the students to understand the complex subjects easily.
Strategies of using Teaching aids
For the proper use of teaching aids strategies should be prepare as it is the most effective way of doing something better. Simple rules should be followed by the teacher and student in the class for the development of students learning skills.
1. The students should know to handle the teaching aids themselves.
2. Variety of teaching matters should be available in the class.
3. Students should feel at ease in the classroom which helps them to learn more in a shorter time.
4. Teaching aids should be according to ability, background, and classroom situations.
5. Two or more teaching methods should be integrated to bring variety, attractive presentation, and appealing content.
6. Students’ self-confidence should be elevated to learn faster.
7. Relevant and useful aids should be introduced in the classroom.
8. Help students to make efficient use of the teaching aids which help them to self-discover.
9. Help them to draw attention to linguistic features so that they become aware of a gap between first and second language.
10. Students should be given opportunities to communicate in a second language which develops their knowledge.
11. Help students to rehearse information, repetition, retrieve the subject from short-term memory. It helps them to learn eventually as a result of using them.
12. Different learning styles such as audio, video, traditional, experiential should be used at the same time.
13. Students’ beliefs, motives, and emotions should be discussed in the classroom as it affects the learning rates.
14. Students should ask to note the important points and related teaching aids with the concerning subject. They should always be able to identify relevant teaching aids.
15. Feedback must be taken from the students.
Different Approaches In Education Psychology